Renaissance winter dress

Long time no post... It seems that I really made only two new clothes or show-worthy related items during the whole last year. But quality before quantity, right?!

The best dress I made is based on the green Italian dress which still is one of my most beloved and best fitted dresses. The pattern is a bit earlier, I guess 1540s to 1550s, Northern Italy (Venice to Florence). It is made of a really cozy warm wool in this great cherry red, decorated with black velvet ribbons. After this event I also made fitting sleeves out of the same fabric as the kirtle with black ribbons to be tied to the dress instead of pinned. The pinning was not used in this time and area so I always did it wrong and now I changed every sleeve and bodice to be attached by ribbons.

Also, the pictures (or the pictures made that day) don't show it really, but the dress fits so perfectly well that the lacing closes exactly.  But in the end it is too cold to be worn in winter, even with appropriate underthings and coat(s), so I'm already planning the "real" winter dress...







Kommentare